Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Yen and Zen

I am at work once again. This time not only is the boss not in, he hasn't been in and he won't be in today. I have not seen a single soul who can help me. A woman just came in speaking only Spanish and, though I got her name and apartment number out of her, when I tried to ask her about her "lease" I'm afraid she thought I meant "leave" because she said "ok" and walked out the door. Eeeee. Plus there is an angry man who I've spoken to several times who I am of absolutely no use to...and none of the numbers people have given me to call "in emergencies" have worked. Ugh. I'm basically an answering service. I should pretend to be automated.
I found two auditions that I am planning to go to next week. One is for a non-paying theatre in Brooklyn that is doing Into the Woods in December. I am going to try to see their production of Ragtime this week to scope out the theatre before I audition. And the other is a non-equity tour of Wonderful Town which I love. I'm going to the principal audition because I know I'm not a good enough dancer to make it through the chorus audition. I'm not really right in age or physicality for either of the main girls but I think I'm an o.k. canidate for the part of Helen Wade. So if anyone has any ideas for soparanoish traditional musical theatre 16 bars OR Sondheim-ish 32 bars let me know. Unfortunately I don't have any of my music books here... so options may be limited.
This weekend Liz and I went to the green market in Union Square which is AMAZING. I bought some bread and tomatoes and apples and a basil plant! I've decided to name him Basil (with the British pronuciation so the "a" is like "cat" instead of like "kate") of Bakerstreet. So far he is a very well behaved plant and he smells nice. While looking at the art part of the market a woman walking too fast with a display of framed pictures bumped into me and shattered every single frame. I think she thought some of it broke on my head because she was very apologetic. For lunch Liz and I went to the Zen Palate vegetarian restaurant where we shared two different kinds of spring rolls, vegetable dumplings, and yam fries. Afterwards we headed into Babies'R'Us. On the way in the door I was stopped by a guy who wanted to know if I "was into heavy metal". I believe I told him "Not at all. Why?" Which caused me to miss out on some probably completely sweet free tickets to a heavy metal concert in the city. Gah.
There was a street market on MY Broadway (in Queens) on Sunday. Our yoga teacher bought a bonsai tree there for $150 dollars. I bought a two dollar ear of corn. It was delicious.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terrell said...

I'm glad you've found some auditions to try. Each one is either gonna be your first NYC role or a step toward your first NYC role! Keep trying. Are there any particular books you want me to mail to you?

We start rehearsals for The Civil War on Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. There'll only be two performances. And there'll be several cast changes.

143!!! Pop

2:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What kind of complains do these people have? And how far up on the West side is it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home