Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!


Tonight I wound up going to the Halloween Parade in the village on my own. The picture is of spooky tower near where I was standing. They had a giant blow up spider puppet hanging of the side. It was hard to get any good pictures with night vision liking a steady hand and the million people crowd. It was hard to even get close, the police had every adjacent block that had residents on it blocked off. The closest I go was when Ii accidentally got in line to cross the street right in front of the parade. But I finally snagged a steady position right in front of a bicycle which made for a pretty good veiw but was really uncomfortable once everyone wanted to leave. Pretty much anyone who is dressed up can march in this parade. There were marching bands and a few floats including the band KISS at the end. They didn't sing... but they looked good. There were, of course plenty of political statements to be made. The coffins of Ignorance and Homophobia were carried. It was all very dramatic. And tons and tons of people in inventive and standard costumes were there to be seen. My favorite was a guy who went as a hand. He had all five fingers the middle of which was attached to his head and was the only one erect without extra effort. And on the back it said "talk to the hand". He obviously made it himself. Maybe its crude... but who thinks to go as a hand?! I applaude you sir.
The weather has been really nice the last couple of days. I have been working at H&M for over a week now. I like the people but I am completely done with training. I am ready to know everything. Its definitely harder on my feet than the receptionist work... and it doesn't pay as well. I'm already feeling that. But I will be getting benefits in 2 months. And Dr. Dismuke (or the New York equivilant) and I can reunite.
I got hired fulltime for the new 5th Avenue and 18th Street store that opens at the beginning of December. Right now we are training at the Lexington Avenue store which is only 3 stops away from home! I was the oldest of our group of newbies. It's a very young store. I don't think any of the managers have hit 30. There is apparently "a lot of oppurtunity" with the company right now... or so I've been told by, well, everyone. Also NO ONE ever complains. No one ever says "I HAVE to find a better job". Hmm. I'm still not sold though. I hate it when I can't find where the garmet goes. That game gets old. And the music "station" they blast everyday is truly HORRIBLE. Who knew R&B had followed the well trodden course of country music? Increasing in popularity at the same rate increase of uninventive lyrics and all around formula-ed, terrible songwriting. I don't know.. anything... about songwriting. But I'm pretty sure uneloquently stating the point of your song over and over is not the way to go. There has to be some mystery or it is UNINTERESTING. Also, there can only be so many songs about how your man done you wrong. But I'm sure we have not yet written so many that all that is left is song in which the main lyric is "I'm feeling really unappreciated". Well I guess the room for interpretation is up. Boring. I share a locker with a guy named Carlos who is from L.A. We also share the exact same schedule and the same contempt for the house jams.
I also have strong opinions about how Bank of America done me wrong.
Another funny reunion on the subway (platform, this time). One the way home from work the other day I ran into my friend Kimberli who I haven't seen since we did summerstock in upstate. We exchanged numbres... she moved here in August. Crazy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for changing you comment rules!

One of my cute little students, a girl, dressed up as a "head on a table" for Halloween! How's that for gross!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops...anonymous is Pop!


143

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops...anonymous is Pop!


143

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your Halloween! And the insights into life at H&M. I guess retail will provide a lot of opportunities to observe various characters and add to your acting repertoire!

We had about half a dozen groups of trick or treaters last night, so I have lots of candy left. I'll have to hide it until Christmas! Love, Mom

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home